Thursday, December 11, 2014

Chocolate Cookies

Mom's fudgy, delicious little bonbons!

It just wouldn't be Christmas without my mom's fudgy, chocolate cookies.  As a child, I looked forward to these all year long.  Now, I think of Mom with every cookie I roll.  One year, I just made them like a drop cookie and it just wasn't the same to me.  I mean, they tasted the same, but the memory of my mom is still so vivid, even after all these years, that I just had to go back to rolling each one.
I cut this recipe in half because it still makes around 70-75 cookies...that's a lot of cookies!   I also went through and took note of the measurements, since my mom's recipe says "a bag of this" and "add flour until you can roll them", etc.  You get the picture!  Haha!

Ingredients:
1 cup oil
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup Hershey's Unsweetened Cocoa
1/2 tsp. vanilla
dash of salt
1 egg
1 cup milk
1 cup mini chocolate chips (Mom used regular, but minis actually work better)
1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts (totally optional)
Mix together until blended. 

Add:
3 1/2 - 4 cups flour (I add 1 cup at a time)
1 Tbsp. baking powder (add with 1st cup of flour)

When dough thickens to a soft, but firm enough to roll, roll into small 1 1/2-2" balls.  They will rise in the oven.

Preheat oven to 350'F.  Bake about 5-8 minutes, checking a cookie to see if it's done after 5 minutes.  Do not over-bake!  You'll end up with very dry, unappealing cookies. 


When cooled, frost with a white and chocolate glaze and dust with colorful sprinkles.

Chocolate Butter Frosting:

1 ½ cups powdered sugar
 cup cocoa powder
2 Tbsp. butter (softened)
3 to 4 tablespoons milk 
teaspoons vanilla extract
While the cookies cool, make the chocolate glaze by whisking together powdered sugar and cocoa powder. (You can also sift the two together to ensure there are no lumps.)
Add the butter, milk (or water) and vanilla extract and whisk until smooth. Start with less liquid and add more as needed.
Spoon glaze over cookies and garnish with holiday sprinkles or sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.
Vanilla Butter Frosting:
2 Tbsp. soft butter1 1/2 c. confectioners' sugar3/4 tsp. vanilla extract1-2 Tbsp. milk

Blend butter and sugar.  Stir in vanilla and milk;  beat until frosting is smooth and of spreading consistency. 

Frost cooled cookies and get ready for a real treat!  

Be encouraged!
"So they went with haste, and they found Mary and Joseph, and the Babe lying in a manger."  -Luke 2:16


No comments:

Post a Comment