Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Sausage-Lentil Soup

A delicious, heart meal "one-pot meal!"



Lentil soup has always been a staple in our house, since I was a kid.  I don't know what it was about having this warm, hearty soup for dinner that made it so special.  Maybe it was that loaf of homemade Italian bread we ate with it...haha!

Anyway, I decided to make today a "souper" Tuesday!  I started out just wanting to make Split Pea Soup to use up the rest of the ham from Easter dinner.  Then my hubby (who always has such good ideas) said, "Do you have enough ham to make Lentil Soup too?"  

Well, I didn't.  But, I did have some great hot Italian sausage that I hadn't used yet.  So, off to the store we went to get the dried peas and lentils.  Now, we have two of my family's favorite soups simmering for tonight's dinner.

And the Italian bread is going into the oven!      

Ingredients:

1/2 lb. dry lentils
2 Tsp. olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 lb. bulk Italian sausage, mild or hot-your preference (or smoked ham)
1 (14 oz.) can diced tomatoes (optional)
2 cups beef or chicken broth (I like beef)
2 cups water
salt and pepper to taste

Sort and rinse lentils.

In a medium saucepan, heat oil.  Stir in onion, celery and garlic until tender.

In a separate pan, brown sausage, breaking it up as it cooks. Drain.  (If you can't find bulk, buy the links and cut off the casing.  Then break apart in the frying pan.) 

Add lentils and remaining ingredients, including sausage.  Bring to a boil 

Reduce heat, cover and simmer until lentils are tender and soup gets thick.

Add more hot water or broth (chicken or beef) if necessary.

Serves 4-6


Be encouraged!
"Seek good, not evil, that you may live. Then the LORD God Almighty will be with you, just as you say he is."  - Amos 5:14

No comments:

Post a Comment