Saturday, September 13, 2014

Soft Sugar Drop Cookies

Grandma Ware's best cookie! 


Now I'm going way back to share a wonderful recipe from my husband's grandmother.  I met her after Dave & I were married, she was gracious and loving to me.  We all called her Grandma Ware, and she was a wonderful woman who lived into her 80's.   


She knew this was one of my husband's favorite cookies.  I don't ever remember visiting her without being presented with a tray of Sugar Drop Cookies.  When Grandma Ware knew you liked something she made it, you could be sure you would be well supplied.   Lud, our brother-in-law, complimented her Apple Crisp one time, and Grandma made it for him quite often...for a very long time.

Grandma Ware

My husband loved her delicious Date Nut Bread too, and I can tell you that at one time we must have had 10 loaves of it in our freezer.   Every time we'd visit her (which was often) she gave us another loaf.  

Even now, after all these years, I know Dave wishes he could have that bread again!   I'm going to have to work on that for him...she gave me the recipe!


Ingredients:

1 1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. shortening
1/2 c. butter, softened 
2 eggs, beaten
1 c. buttermilk or *sour milk
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. lemon extract
1 tsp. vanilla
3 1/2 c. flour (approx.)  Don't add all at once.


Heat oven to 375'F. 

Combine all ingredients including 2 cups of the flour; mix well.  If the dough is not stiff enough, add flour in small amounts until thick enough to hold it's shape when you drop them onto the cookie sheet.  (I used all of the flour.) 

Before baking, I place a scant spoonful of my hubby's favorite jam onto the top of some, leave some plain, then sprinkle them all with a little sugar.

Bake 8-10 minutes...no more than 10 minutes; watch carefully.

*To make sour milk just put 1 Tbsp. of vinegar into a measuring cup, add enough milk to measure 1 cup; stir.  Voila!  Sour milk.






“Forgiveness is an act of the will, and the will can function regardless of the temperature of the heart.”   -Corrie ten Boom

No comments:

Post a Comment