Sunday, September 7, 2014

Tomato Soup Cake (Mom's "Surprise" Cake)

You'll be "surprised" at how good this is!


It's that time of the year and I can't wait to make my favorite fall dessert! It's an old-fashioned recipe from my mom, but let's face it, those really are the best. I think, partly, because they bring back precious memories, but also, they taste GREAT!

Whenever I serve this cake, I never reveal the surprise ingredient until after they've tasted it.  Then, it's just fun to see the look on their faces when they learn what they just ate.  No one ever guesses that there's a can of tomato soup in this beautiful, delicate, and delicious spice cake.

Even though this is a great cake to make for Thanksgiving or Christmas, you don't have to wait for a special holiday.  It's got most everyone's favorite fall flavors...cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves! No pumpkin! For some of us, it's a nice change from everything else being "pumpkin spiced" in the Fall.  Although I must admit, I enjoy me some pumpkin flavored goodies too.

My mom made this every fall, as sure as the leaves turned colors.  She frosted it with a Chocolate Frosting, so that's the way I make mine.  But, I've seen it with a Vanilla Glaze or with a Cream Cheese Frosting too.  I'll let you choose which one is your favorite.  As for me and my family...it's chocolate frosting, all the way!

Ingredients:
2 cups flour
1 1/3 cups sugar
4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsps. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg

1/2  tsp. ground cloves
1 (10.75oz.) can condensed tomato soup, undiluted
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk


Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and lightly flour 13″ x 9″ baking pan or 2 8" round pans.

In large bowl mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and spices.  Whisk together to blend well.

 Add soup, butter, eggs, and milk.

With mixer at low speed, beat until well mixed, constantly scraping side and bottom of bowl. At high speed, beat 4 minutes, occasionally scraping bowl. Pour into prepared pan.

Bake 20-35 minutes, test every 5 minutes after 20 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.   This cake will become dry quickly if over-baked. 


Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes.   Frost with your favorite icing or glaze. 

Here's my favorite chocolate frosting!

"Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Frosting

1 stick (1/2 cup) butter or margarine
2/3 cup Hershey's cocoa
3 cups confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup milk  (plus an additional few drops to make a nice                               spreading consistency)


In a medium saucepan,  melt butter;  stir in cocoa. 


Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating on medium speed to spreading consistency.  Add more milk if needed. 

Stir in vanilla. 

Makes about 2 cups frosting.

This frosting tastes like fudge!  It's rich, easy to spread and will fill the inside and frost the outside very generously.


Be encouraged!
"Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the LORD your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you.”  -Deuternomony 31:6



 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment