Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Fresh Apple Butter Cake

Moist, filled with apples and oh, so good!



Sorry for any confusion with the name of this cake, so let me start with this disclaimer...there is NO APPLE BUTTER in this cake!  I just went with the name on the recipe card that was given to me back in the 70's. LOL!

The recipe for this delicious cake was given to me by my Aunt Mary, who was married to my father's brother, George.  Aunt Mary was a hairdresser in our hometown, and so was her daughter-in-law, Lorraine.   Being a close-knit family, we all got our hair done by one or the other.  

I can still picture Aunt Mary's salon, where, as a child,  I loved to help her out and sweep up the hair from her clients.

One day I was at Lorraine's home, just down the street from my parents' home.  She was cutting my hair and we were chatting away, having a grand time.   Aunt Mary came in with the most delicious, moist, cake for us.  It was still slightly warm and she had sprinkled confectioners' sugar all over it.  I wanted to just sit and devour the whole cake...the heck with my hair.  It was that good, and well, food always took priority...still does!

I've found out, here in the south, that they have a caramel glaze they like to pour over it, but I truly think this cake can stand alone with just a dusting of confectioners' sugar.


Ingredients:                              

3 c. flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. cloves
1 c. butter, softened
2 c. granulated sugar
3 eggs
1/4 c. oil
3 c. apples, peeled and chopped
1 c. nuts, chopped

Preheat oven to 325'F.  Grease a 10" tube pan or 2 loaf pans or a 13x9" cake pan. (I use the tube pan)

Sift flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and cloves into a bowl; set aside.

Cream together butter and sugar; add eggs and oil and mix well.

Add dry ingredients; stir until blended. 

Add chopped apples.   Add nuts (if desired)

Bake 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.  (Check it after the 1 hour time, mine is always just about done then.) 

When cooled, sprinkle with Confectioners' sugar, if you like.  It's just as good without any topping at all.

What a great cake!


Be encouraged!
"A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity."  -Proverbs 17:17

No comments:

Post a Comment