Friday, August 8, 2014

Chocolate "Poor Boy" Cake & Cupcakes

Also Known As Wacky Cake!


This cake comes with many names, "Poor Boy Cake" or "Eggless Cake", sometimes even "Chocolate Oil Cake" and it's really is an oldie, but a goodie!  

My mom had this recipe for years, so I don't really know where the original came from, but, I promise you, this is one of the best chocolate cakes around, and so easy to make.  In fact, I think it was this cake that helped my hubby fall in love with me.  Haha! 

Don't be intimidated by the strange ingredients, they blend together to make a yummy cake or cupcakes!   This is also great for anyone with dairy allergies.  I remember my mom mixing it right in the cake pan, but I'm too much of a "neat-nick" for that.  But, believe me, it works out great that way too.

Personally, I give this recipe 5 stars...*very, quick, **very chocolaty, ***very moist, ****very inexpensive and *****very delicious!   Now,  that's my idea of a 5 star rating!  Guess you can tell I think it's the best chocolate cake ever!

Ingredients:
3 c.  flour
2 c. sugar
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1/2 c. unsweetened baking cocoa
3/4 c. oil
2 Tbsps. vinegar
2 tsps. vanilla
2 c. cold water

Put dry ingredients in a bowl, mix lightly with fork to blend.  Make a well in the middle; add liquids; mix well until all ingredients are blended and the batter is smooth. 

Pour into an ungreased 9X13" baking pan or two 9" round pans.

Bake at 350'F for 30-35 minutes for sheet cake and 25-30 for layers or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean

Frost with your favorite Chocolate or Buttercream Frosting, and serve with a cold glass of milk.  Then sit back and enjoy!





This recipe also makes great cupcakes: (pictured)

Place cupcake paper into each cup of 2 muffin pans (each pan yielding 12 muffins).
 
Then fill each cup with 1 leveled off scoop of an ice cream scooper. (I love this, it's so easy.)

Bake at 350°F in regular oven for 15-20 minutes or until tester comes out clean. Yields 24 to 27 cupcakes

I made the cupcake version for my son-in-law's birthday, and topped them with a Rolo candy.  They were a big hit with him and all of his coworkers.









Be encouraged!
"Men with good intentions make promises; men with good character keep them."




2 comments:

  1. What a great recipe! My Noah is allergic to dairy (and nuts). It's amazing to me that there is NO dairy in this recipe. I'm definitely going to have to try this one! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad I posted this too! You'll love the flavor, it reminds me of Mayonaise Cake...but, without the dairy. :)

    ReplyDelete