Saturday, July 26, 2014

Blueberry Pie

Fresh pie from the oven...classic is always best!

I wish you were here to smell the aroma of this fresh, blueberry pie, baking in the oven!   I saw blueberries on sale yesterday and knew I had to make a pie...it's been awhile since I've made a blueberry pie, and it's one of my favorites.  Actually, that's probably why I don't make it often...I tend to lose what little self-control I do have around my favorite foods.

As a little girl, my father would take me into the woods near the railroad tracks to pick wild blueberries.  He knew exactly where to look for them.  I tried not to eat too many, so mom could make us a pie, but, I'm afraid we ended up spending much more time picking than Dad intended.  You guessed it!  I ate more than I picked.   But, in my defense, those beautiful, sweet, succulent little berries called my name.   I probably ate a quart before we even got out of the woods.

This is a simple recipe...a little sugar, cinnamon, lemon and flour to thicken the juices from the blueberries.  I use my mom's pie crust recipe, but, you can use your favorite or buy the refrigerated ones.  You'll need two, it takes a bottom and top crust.

Ingredients:
Pastry for 9" two crust pie (use your own, store bought or my Mom's Flakey Pastry)
2/3 c. sugar
1/4 c. plus 2 Tbsp. flour
1/2 tsp. cinnamon (opt.) 
5 c. fresh blueberries
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
3 Tbsp. butter

Heat oven to 425'F.  Prepare pastry.  Stir together sugar, flour and cinnamon; mix with berries.  Turn into pastry-lined pie pan; sprinkle with lemon juice and dot with butter.

Cover with top crust, which has slits cut into it.  (I made the lattice top for this pie). 

Place the pie on the middle rack of the oven with a cookie sheet or aluminum foil below it on the lower shelf.  This will catch any juices in case they bubble over.   

Bake for 12-15 minutes at 425°.  Reduce heat to 350°F and bake for 30 to 40 minutes more or until juices are bubbling and have thickened. 

Check after lowering heat, to see if crust is browning too fast.  Make a tent of aluminum foil, and cover the crust loosely. 

Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Let cool completely before serving


Be encouraged!
"Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in Him."  -Psalm 34:8




No comments:

Post a Comment