Thursday, July 31, 2014

Classic Toll House (Chocolate Chip) Cookies

Plus a touch of butterscotch!

My favorite "go to" Chocolate Chip recipe is on the back of the Nestlé's Chocolate Morsels package.  In fact, I've made them so many times over the years, the recipe is ingrained in my mind.

I can only remember one complaint.  That's when my little granddaughter, Danielle and her twin sister, Andrea, were staying with us for an overnight.  My husband bought me a new Kitchen Aid mixer.  I was so excited, I couldn't wait to try it.  So, of course, cookies were a must, since they were the twins' favorites.   Now, they were excited too!

But, once I started adding all the ingredients and turned the machine on, Danielle became very upset.  I turned the mixer off and asked what was wrong.  She started crying, "You can't use that!  They won't be homemade anymore!"   She never did buy the explanation that you don't have to mix by hand to make "homemade."  

Danielle is with the Lord now, and I'm so grateful for all the sweet memories that Andrea and I have. Many, like this one makes me smile.  And guess what?   Now, I always mix these cookies by hand...for Danielle. 

You don't have to add the butterscotch morsels, if that's not your thing. Just increase the chocolate ones to 2 cups and you've got the original recipe, which is my absolute favorite!  Why?  You ask.  All chocolate, of course!  Haha! 



Ingredients:

1 c. butter (2 sticks)
3/4 c. light brown sugar, packed
3/4 c. granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. chocolate morsels (increase to 2 c. if you're not adding the butterscotch morsels)
1 c. butterscotch morsels (optional)
1 c. chopped nuts (optional)
2 1/4 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt.






Preheat oven to 375'F.

Combine flour, baking soda & salt in separate bowl.  Stir together and set aside. 

Mix butter, sugars, eggs, and vanilla until creamy, and all the lumps are out. 

Add morsels (if you don't like butterscotch, just switch to 2 cups chocolate)  Gradually, beat in flour mixture.   If you want the cookies a little thicker, just add 1/4 c. more flour.  We like ours a little flat, crunchy on the outside & chewy in the middle.  Drop by rounded tablespoons onto ungreased baking sheets.

Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.  Cool on baking sheet for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.

A Tip from Grammy:
-Don't be afraid to play with this recipe.  You can add different kinds of chips, nuts, raisins, even marshmallows.  Roll a ball of dough and hide a Rolo candy inside before baking.  
-Bake them with your children, and, most of all have fun together!  
-Make memories!
-If you want those crisp edges and chewy center, about half way through baking, lift the baking sheet while still in the oven and let it drop. Then when they are done, let the baking sheet drop again. They will flatten and have that bakery edge many like. 

Be encouraged!
"It's not about having great faith, but simply having faith in a great God!"






1 comment:

  1. Love & God bless you. This is so so special. I can't say that I will ever forget Danielle now either...anytime I remember that toll house recipe, for some reason. it always takes me back to a time when I was little and with my own mom in the kitchen. More so, though, I remember watching the magic she must've have been doing to create such a sweet morsel of pure heaven! lol. When in the kitchen with her...all I remember is a greenish blue tall tin that she must have had on the counter...this makes me think of chocolate in this same type of way. But, maybe it was just my imagination.

    ReplyDelete