Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Glazed Lemon Blueberry Scones

Perfect for breakfast or brunch, with coffee...or just a sweet treat!

This morning, I attempted to make scones for the first time!   See, you can teach an "old dog, new tricks!"   It does sound rather odd to think, at my age, there's a first for anything.  And now, I have a new obsession in the kitchen.  I'm already planning pumpkin scones for Thanksgiving and Cranberry Orange Scones for Christmas.

Fresh scones are so much better than store bought ones!   They're so fresh, moist and tender...well, there's just no comparison.   I know I use the word "easy" to describe many of my recipes on here, but these are so EASY and taste FANTASTIC!  

I highly encourage you to try making these, but, I do have a one-word warning attached, "Addictive."   A little piece fell off one, so I felt it was my duty to dry "just one bite" and ended up eating the whole thing.  Don't judge...I just couldn't help myself!



Ingredients:

2 cups unbleached flour
2 tsp. baking powder
3 Tbsp. granulated sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. (1 stick) cold butter (cut into small pieces)
1 c. fresh blueberries
zest of 1 lemon, grated fine 
1 c. heavy cream (plus more for the top of scones)
Dash of vanilla (about 1/2 tsp.)

Heat oven to 400'F. 

First, sift the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.

Using 2 forks or your fingers, cut in the butter to coat the pieces with the flour. (I did this by hand).  The mixture should end up looking like coarse crumbs.

Make a well in the center and pour in the heavy cream & lemon zest.  Fold everything together until just mixed; do not over work the dough or the scones will be tough.  Gently, fold the blueberries into the dough, taking care not to mash them.

Press the dough onto a lightly floured surface and form into a rectangle. (Don't use a rolling pin, it will smash the berries.)  Cut the rectangle in half then cut the pieces into half again, giving you 4 squares. Cut the squares in half on a diagonal to give you a triangle shape.  Makes 8.

Mix together a small amount of heavy cream and a dash of vanilla.  Brush the tops of the scones and sprinkle with a little sugar.

Place scones on an ungreased baking sheet and bake at 400'F until golden brown and the blueberries have burst, about 15-20 minutes.  Let cool a bit before you apply the glaze.


Lemon Glaze:

1 cup Confectioner's sugar
3-5 Tbsp. lemon juice (add 1 Tbsp. at a time)

Mix the confectioner's sugar and lemon juice (1 Tbsp. at a time) until the desired consistency.  Whisk the glaze until all lumps are out, and drizzle over cooled scones.

You'll never buy scones again!



"The greatest blessing in the whole world is being a blessing!"  J
ack Hyles
 



No comments:

Post a Comment