Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Easy Fried Dough (Pizza Fritte)

Pizza Fritte!

This was one of our favorite treats, growing up.  Mom would fry dough for breakfast, lunch or a snack.  I've carried this tradition down to my children and grandchildren, and I know they're going to do the same with their families.  One of the easiest recipes I can give you, actually, not a recipe at all.  Just some simple instructions.

My son loved these so much, that whenever we would go home to visit, my Aunt Helen made sure to have these "in the pan" for him.  I can still see her standing at her stove, while David eagerly waited for his favorite treat.  She would laugh and joke with him, smiling the whole time, because she knew he was practically jumping out of his chair in anticipation.   Precious memories, so precious!

I listed some toppings that you might like, but we always just use the two different sugars. 
You can let your imagination go wild, even dip it in chocolate or Nutella. 

Ingredients:
1 lb. prepared pizza or bread dough 
Vegetable or canola oil for frying
Large frying pan with deep sides

Toppings:
Powdered sugar
Granulated sugar
Cinnamon sugar
Butter
Jam
Honey


Instructions:
Pour about 1" of oil into frying pan, and heat to medium-high.  (See tip below)

Place dough on floured board and press down to even out a bit.  Cut into 8 equal pieces.  Put a little flour on your hands (so the dough won't stick) and gently stretch out the dough as far as it will go, without ripping it.  

Pieces have set a few minutes, and are ready to fry.
 
Use tongs to keep your fingers away from the hot oil.
 
Carefully place into the hot oil, cook about a minute (goes fast) or until the side down is golden, then turn over and brown the other side.  (Never leave the stove when you're frying something.  I learned the hard way, and burned down my first house. Yeah, true story!) 
 
Underside is starting to get golden brown.
 
Carefully turn them over.

 
 
Ready to put on the paper towels to drain off oil.
Ready for the toppings!

Use tongs to remove onto a paper towel or brown paper bag, to drain off any excess oil.
Immediately sprinkle on cinnamon sugar or powdered sugar or spread on some butter, and various other toppings, if desired.  Serve warm.

A Tip from Grammy:
-A tip for knowing when your oil is ready: tear off a tiny piece of bread and when it floats to the top and has bubbly sides it’s ready. You don’t want it sinking to the bottom.

Be encouraged!
Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O Lord my strength and my Redeemer.   -Psalm 19:14





No comments:

Post a Comment