Sunday, March 22, 2015

Oven Baked French Toast Casserole

A delicious make-ahead breakfast!


So, yesterday, my granddaughter asked if we could have a nice breakfast before she went to work at her new job.  Of course, I was more than happy to make it for her.  But, since she doesn't like eggs, I decided on one of her favorites, French Toast.   I just wanted to do something a little different than the usual.

Time to search the web...yes, there it was!  Baked French Toast!   Since I never tried it before, I decided to make it anyway and hope for the best.  Well, they all loved it!  Yay! 

This is one of those wonderful "make ahead" breakfasts.  You can put it together the night before, and into the fridge until morning, if you like, I just left it there an hour.  Your family can wake up to the aroma of cinnamon, vanilla and warm maple syrup...all in one magical breakfast casserole!

It rose in the oven like a beautiful soufflĂ©, then when you cut into it, the tops and sides are crunchy and the middle is tender...just like a soufflĂ©!  
 

Now I'm on the lookout for other variations on this dish, and it seems there are plenty.  But, for now I'll share this one because it was such a hit at our family breakfast today.


Ingredients:

1 loaf of French bread
8 eggs
2 cups milk
½ cup heavy cream 
2 Tbsp. vanilla extract
½ tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
*********************
½ cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
3 Tbsp. maple syrup (or honey)
1 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Tear bread into chunks or cut into cubes; evenly lay out in a 9X13 pan. 

Mix eggs, milk, cream, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg together.  Pour over bread.  

Refrigerate for a couple of hours or overnight. 

In morning, preheat oven to 350'F. 

Melt butter and cook with brown sugar and syrup or honey until just boiling.  (If you add the pecans, this will be a wonderful praline topping.)  Pour over bread mixture.

Bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes for a soft, moist texture; and 50-60 minutes for a firmer, less moist one.

If top starts to get too brown, cover loosely with aluminum foil.

Enjoy!


When my heart is overwhelmed, lead me to the Rock that is higher than I. - Psalm 61:2

No comments:

Post a Comment