Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Inside-Out Stuffed Peppers

A great dinner any night of the week!


As I was looking through the veggie drawer in my fridge, I noticed I still had half a package of tri-colored, chopped peppers, an onion and garlic.  I also had left-over rice...and even sauce!   I wished the peppers were whole, so I could make hubby one of his favorite dinners, stuffed peppers.

I wasn't giving up though, so I decided to make a casserole out of all these yummy ingredients.  It's always fun to throw a bunch of things together and see what comes out of it.  Guess what? They all loved it!  Yay!  

Don't forget, in these types of recipes, you can add your favorite ingredients. Maybe some Italian sausage, chopped olives, crushed red pepper for heat,
Provolone instead of Mozzarella!  It's your kitchen and your show...have fun!

Ingredients:
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2-3 cloves garlic, minced                       
1/2 cup onions, chopped
2 cups bell peppers, chopped (I used 2 cups of combined yellow, red and green)
2 cups cooked rice
1 lb. lean ground beef
1/2 Tbsp. parsley
1/2 cup Parmesan (plus some for topping)
1 1/2 cup tomato sauce
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup mozzarella, shredded (for top of casserole)

Pour olive oil in large skillet, on medium high heat.  Add garlic, onions and peppers; cook until just tender, about 8-10 minutes.  Remove to a bowl; set aside.

Place ground beef in the same pan and brown; drain any extra fat.  Add peppers and onions mixture back to the pan with beef, stir together.  

Add cooked rice, parsley, Parmesan and tomato sauce, salt and pepper.  Mix well and cook together for another  few minutes.

Pour into a prepared 7X11" baking dish.  Top with the mozzarella and a sprinkling of more Parmesan.

Bake at 375'F. for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted and casserole heated through.


Be encouraged!
"Keep looking up and kneeling down."   -Corrie ten Boom

No comments:

Post a Comment