Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Chocolate Chess Pie

You need this in your life!

 
Why the name "Chess Pie?"  Well,  as one story goes, a Southern gentleman came home one evening and asked his wife, an accomplished but modest cook, what smelled so good. “It's jes' pie,” she replied. I don't know if this is true, but I think it's a great story! LOL!

I had never had Chocolate Chess Pie, until I moved south and visited a Golden Corral buffet restaurant.  You know, the ones with tons of food, a gazillion desserts and a chocolate fountain.  Well, they also have this chocolate pie that was like eating soft, delicious brownie in pie pastry.  I never even knew the name of it!  All I knew was that once I tasted it,  there was no way I was going to totally fill up on "real" food and miss my favorite piece of pie.  Best way to end a meal! 


This isn't a thick pie, but because it's rich, it works out perfectly.   Add a dollop of whipped cream, and you have the perfect dessert.
 
So, one evening I went in search for what would be the best recipe to make at home...because, this is what I do!  Ha!  Finally, I found a website that had "copycat" recipes, and to my delight, there it was Golden Corral's Chocolate Pie!  Am I happy?  You bet I am!


CHOCOLATE CHESS PIE (Golden Corral Copycat Recipe)
Makes 1 Pie

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups sugar                                                      
5 tablespoons cocoa powder
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup evaporated milk
3 large eggs, room temperature
1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 9-inch, partially baked pie crust (pre-baked for about 5 minutes)

Preheat oven to 325'F.


Bake pie shell for 8-10 minutes or until bottom crust is just starting to brown. Remove from oven and let cool.

Combine the sugar, cocoa, flour, and salt. Blend in milk. Beat in eggs 1 at a time. Add butter and vanilla, beat until smooth.

Pour into a pre-baked pie shell.

Bake in the oven at 325 degrees for 55-60 minutes. Cool the pie completely before topping with whipped cream.

Homemade Whipped Cream: (if you want to garnish, but it doesn't need it)

2 cups heavy whipping cream
3 tablespoons powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla

Combine ingredients in mixer bowl and beat.  Chill bowl and beaters before whipping.


Be encouraged!
"If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." - John 8:31-32
 

2 comments:

  1. I have read your article, it is very informative and helpful for me.I admire the valuable information you offer in your articles. Thanks for posting it.. mars chocolate bar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your kind words, Elizabeth! I haven't posted in awhile but am hoping to share more recipes regularly! :)

      Delete