Sunday, August 30, 2015

Crusty Italian Bread

You won't want store-bought after this!
I rolled out my dough for this batch and made a traditional looking Italian bread.
There is nothing like homemade bread...and Italian bread is the most versatile.  It's great for toast, sandwiches, hoagies, pizza, drizzle olive oil on it or just eat it with some butter.  Totally yummy!

I can't even tell you how good your house will smell when it's baking, too.  My granddaughter came home from work today, and opened the front door to this heavenly aroma.  She literally squealed with excitement, did her happy dance, and exclaimed "Fresh bread!!!"  She makes me laugh!

Sometimes, I make this bread in pans to use for sandwiches.  It shapes up perfectly and makes the best sandwiches!  Seriously, try baking your own bread...you won't regret it!  


Ingredients:
4 1/2 tsp. active dry yeast (or 2 packages)
2 cups warm water (105 to 115 degrees)
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 Tbsp. salt
1/4 cup olive oil or vegetable oil
5-6 cups flour

Dissolve yeast in a bowl with warm water; add sugar and stir well.  (Adding the sugar now will help the yeast to work faster and feeds the yeast.) Let stand for a few minutes until it starts to bubble and foam a bit; then add oil.  Mix well.

Stir in 3 cups of the flour and salt; beat until smooth.  (I just used a wooden spoon, it's pretty sticky at this point.)

Now add remaining flour, 1 cup at a time (I used 5 cups total).

At this point, I used my Kitchen Aid mixer with the hook.  This kneaded the dough for me for about 5-8 minutes.  You can do this by hand, on a floured board or counter top.  Knead until smooth and elastic, up to 10 minutes by hand.

Place in a greased bowl; brush top with salad oil.  Cover; let rise in warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.  (I make a warm place for it by using a heating pad underneath, on low, and covering it with a clean towel.)  
Ready to rise.

And rise, it did!  
Punch down dough and divide it in two and form two loaves by rolling each half into a rectangle, 18x9".  Roll up tightly, beginning at short side, then press each end to seal and fold ends under loaf.

Place seam side down onto a prepared sheet pan.  Brush loaves lightly with oil and let rise again until doubled, about 1 hour. 
Rising nicely...I used the pans today...wanted to make sandwich bread.
Brush the risen loaves with an egg mixture of 1 egg and 1 Tbsp. water and sprinkle generously with sesame seeds, if desired. (I left this step out this time and liked it better.)

Fresh out of the oven.

These sliced up great, and my husband loved his sandwich on homemade bread!
Bake in preheated 400'F. oven, on lower rack (not the lowest), for about 25-30 minutes or until loaves are golden brown and sound hollow when tapped.
(Check them at 20 minutes, that's all mine took, but every oven is different.)


Be encouraged!
Then Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never go hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty.  -John 6:35


4 comments:

  1. I just want bread. You should save your bible thumping for when you're in church !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear James DrJimm. Your comment is rude. As an atheist I understand intolerance at having religion pushed at you. However, this is a personally-sponsored facebook page that gives the gift of of wonderful recipes and experience. The lovely lady who created this page shares what is dearest to her in a delightful and most non-aggressive manner. If what she shares is offensive to you, there are hundreds of other sources for recipes available to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the scripture you posted. Without Christ all are lost. As we can tell above, ^^^^ so many scared to death of being blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the scripture! So So true, and everyone on need of this during the terrible pandemic (virus). Thank you so much for your postings.

    ReplyDelete