Monday, June 12, 2023

Pink Flamingo Cake

A light, fluffy summer dessert!



A few years ago, I found this delicious dessert on the Southern Plate website, where this fun cake was originated. The color caught my eye first, but the ease of making it was a sure winner! I love experimenting with easy recipes that have the flavors my family enjoys.

Remember, you can change any of these recipes to suit your family's tastes. It's always fun to make a recipe your own!

My great-granddaughter loves pink...everything pink! So, of course, I'll be trying this out on her, minus the crushed pineapple in her frosting. She has a "texture" thing. Most kids do, right? LOL! One of my other grands hates cherries, so I may switch to strawberries. Either way, I think I'll be able to please them all.

Ingredients:

Cake:
1 (15.25 oz.) package white cake mix
1 (3.5) package cherry gelatin mix
3/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup buttermilk or substitute sour milk (see Grammy's tip below)
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon Vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
In a large bowl or mixer, beat cherry gelatin mix, vegetable oil, buttermilk, eggs and vanilla extract into white cake mix until just combined.  Pour into greased baking dish.

Place baking dish in oven and bake for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out mostly clean.
Remove from oven and let cool completely.

Frosting:
1 (8 oz.) can crushed pineapple, with juice
1 (3.4 oz.) package instant vanilla pudding mix
1 (16 oz. container frozen whipped topping, thawed
1 (8 oz.) jar maraschino cherries, halved (reserve juice)

Place crushed pineapple (including juice) and halved cherries in a large bowl.  Sprinkle pudding mix on top.

Fold in whipped topping and 1/4 cup cherry juice until smooth and well combined.  If desired, add more cherry juice. (I found it perfect with just the 1/4 cup.)

Frost the cooled cake and refrigerate for 2/3 hours until set.  Garnish with cherries, if desired.  Refrigerate any leftovers.

A Tip from Grammy:
-BUTTERMILK SUBSTITUTE - Place 1 Tbsp. vinegar into a measuring cup, add milk to reach 1 cup and stir until blended. That's it!  

Be encouraged!
"If I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again."  -John 14:3

No comments:

Post a Comment