Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Banana Cream Pie

There's nothing like my mom's Banana Cream Pie!


My mom was the best pie maker I ever knew, and I'm not just saying that because she was my mom!  Her crust was tender and flaky, melted in your mouth good, and her Banana Cream Pie was one of my favorites. I'm so thankful that she taught me how to make those wonderful pies of her, and so is my family.

I have been so blessed to be able to hand down her recipes and share them with my kids and grandkids...and now with you!  My daughter is obsessed with this pie and will have no other for her "birthday pie".  She didn't even want me to put this on the blog...thinks it should be copyrighted. 

Anyway, I know you can use a frozen crust, or buy one in a can...even make a Graham cracker crust. But, in all fairness to mom, it won't be the same. You can tell I'm hooked on my mom's way. I mean, why mess with perfection?  

Ingredients:
1 9" prebaked pie shell (recipe below)
Mom's Vanilla Cream (recipe below)
2-3 medium ripe bananas, sliced

Vanilla Cream                                                    
6 Tbsp. flour
1/2 c. granulated sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
2 eggs
2 c. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
2 Tbsp. butter

Combine flour, sugar, salt and eggs in saucepan and stir until smooth; gradually add milk and continue to stir constantly over medium heat, until  thickened. If it looks lumpy, use a wire whisk and it will smooth out nicely.  
Add vanilla and butter; stir until butter has melted. Store in refrigerator until ready to use. 

Mom's Flaky Pastry for 1 9" crust:
1 c. flour
1/2 c. shortening
1/2 tsp. salt
3-4 Tbsp. cold water (I add ice to it before I use it to make it really cold)

Combine flour, shortening and salt; cut with a pastry cutter or fork until it looks like coarse meal. Then add cold water (start with 3 Tbsp.)  If it's still dry add more, 1 Tbsp. at a time. Roll out on floured surface, using enough flour so the dough won't stick.

Bake 9-11 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.

Assembly (layering bananas and cream)
Arrange banana slices from one or more bananas in cooled, baked shell, covering the bottom with them. Spoon half of the cream over bananas, then slice the other banana (sliced) onto cream. Cover that layer with the rest of the cream.

Cover loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate until set, at least 3 hours.  Before serving, top with whipped topping.

XL
Store in refrigerator. 

Be encouraged!
"All those whom the Father gives me will come to me. He who comes to me I will in no way throw out. For I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will, but the will of Him who sent me."  -John 6:37-38

No comments:

Post a Comment