Saturday, January 24, 2015

Mom's "Spanish" Rice with Ground Beef

A favorite, quick meal!






























My mom made this from the time I can remember, and it's always been a family favorite with everyone!  I don't think it's really a "Spanish" style rice, but that's what she always called it, and I just don't have another name for it!  Ha!  We make this as a main dish, but if you leave out the ground beef, it's a great side dish with chicken or beef.

I haven't tried to change it, or make it taste more like a Spanish dish because we all love it just as it is.  But, if you'd like the flavor to match the name, just add a cup of chunky salsa with the tomato sauce, a couple of teaspoons of chili powder, or a blend of Rotelle with it. 

This is one of those recipes you can "play" with to suit your family's taste.  So, go ahead, and have fun!


Ingredients:

1 lb. ground beef
Mixed before serving

1 cup onion, chopped
1/4 cup green pepper, chopped (optional)
1 clove garlic
1 (15oz.) can tomato sauce
Salt & pepper to taste
1 cup long grain white rice
2 cups water
1/2 tsp. salt

In a skillet, brown ground beef; drain.

Stir in the onion, green pepper and garlic. Cook and stir until the vegetables are tender.

Add tomato sauce, salt and pepper.  Let simmer for 15-20 minutes on low.

Bring rice, water and salt to a boil; cover and lower heat, let cook 15-20 minutes or until rice is tender.

Scoop rice into bowls and cover with the sauce mixture. 
(I like serving it this way instead of mixing it altogether, because some family members like more sauce than others.   But, you can mix it together in the pan before serving.)

Yields: 6-8 servings.


The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song.  The LORD is the strength of his people, a fortress of salvation for his anointed one.   -Psalm 28:7,8

No comments:

Post a Comment